Fishing the Middle Fork of the Salmon River
You will be fishing for Cutthroat Trout, Rainbow Trout, and Whitefish, which range from 4-18 inches in length.
You may also catch incidentally, Steelhead Trout, Salmon and Bull Trout.
*All fishing on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River is catch and release.
Fly fishing or spin casting equipment are both acceptable. You must fish with artificial fly or lure with a single barbless hook. Lures with treble hook must have 2 hooks removed and flatten barb on the third. For flies you only have to flatten the barb.
You can purchase your fishing license online
or by calling 1-800-554-8685.
Fishing licenses and last minute items can also be purchased at River 1 Inc either before or after the orientation or at most of the sporting goods stores and convenience stores in Idaho. There are also several local tackle shops in are of Stanley, Idaho for last minute purchases
First Choice Flies:
- Muddler Minnow (size 8,10,12)
- Renegade (size 10,12)
- Royal Wulff (size 8,10,12)
- Stimulators (size 8,10) orange, yellow, green, royal
- Dave’s Hopper (size 8,10)
- Joe’s Hopper (size 8,10)
- Parachute Hopper (size 8,10)
*Flies can be used with spin-casting equipment with the help of split shot and/or casting bobbers.
- Wooly Worm (size 8,10,12)
- Elk Hair Caddis (size 8,10,12,14)
- Humpy (size 8,10,12)
- Royal Coachman (size 8,10,12)
- Adams (size 12,14)
- Mepps Spinner (#1 or #2)
- Panther Martin
- Split Shot
- Extra Line (minimum 4 lb, we suggest 6 lb test for spin fishing)
- Leaders (minimum 4 lb, 5X)
- Rod & Reel
- Small pair of needle nose pliers
- Hard case for fishing pole – We recommend the type case that allows you to stow your rod with the reel still attached.
- Please do not bring hip boots or waders. Felt soled wading shoes can be handy though.
- Fishing License (can be purchased online or in Stanley or Challis)
We recommend that you use 4 lb. test line or heavier and 5X leader or larger. Muddler Minnows and split shot are a good combination for use with a spinning rod. Please feel free to bring anything that you would like to experiment with, but keep in mind that we will be a long way from the tackle shop while we’re on the river. Spare equipment is definitely a good idea.
Call to Book Your Adventure
Or fill out the form below to get more information on a float trip.