It is important to understand that you are responsible for certain things to insure a successful rafting trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River.
The two most important are: a good positive attitude, and the gear list below. If you have particular items you wish to bring on the trip which are not on the list, feel free to ask us about them. For example, we’d love to have someone bring a guitar.
We recommend you print this rafting gear list and reference it when packing.
- Good quality rain gear (pants and jacket w/hood) MANDATORY
- Fleece jacket or equivalent MANDATORY
- Wetsuits are MANDATORY in June or when conditions dictate (water gauge levels higher than 4 feet). Wetsuits can be rented in Stanley @ Riverwear, 208 774 3592, we recommend reserving these well in advance. They can be picked up in Stanley the night before the trip.
- Wetsuit gloves can be nice as well.
- Blank check for guides tip (Recommended but optional – this way you will be prepared for what ever amount you decide).
- Polar Fleece Pants. (Recommended but optional)
- River shoes: June – wet suit booties, sandals, or tennis shoes & wool socks July & Aug. – sandals or tennis shoes.
- Hiking and/or tennis shoes for camp
- Sunglasses with strap
- A hat.
- Sun screen, chap stick, bug repellent, and hand lotion.
- Two bathing suits and shorts made out of quick – drying material. (for women, 2-piece bathing suits work well.)
- One pair of long pants (blue jeans).
- Long Johns or sweats
- Underwear, socks, and light gloves
- Personal hygiene supplies including one roll of toilet paper, small bar of biodegradable soap, travel pack of Wet Ones.
- Personal medications, allergy medications, reaction medication to insect stings and bites
- Towel and wash cloth
- Small pillow
- One large plastic garbage bag, three – (1) gallon ziplock bags
- 4’x8′ plastic ground cloth (for sleeping out under the stars)
- Alcoholic beverages: you buy it, we’ll haul it, please, no glass. We do serve wine with most dinners and margaritas on Mexican night.
- Fishing gear: see fishing gear list
- Small flashlight with extra bulb & batteries
- Camera, batteries, & film (disposable, waterproof cameras are great.)
- 20 ft. of cord for clothesline. 1 per couple or family, belt with knife and/or pocket knife(optional)
- Optional – self filtering water bottle (we provide fresh water, juice, and pop throughout the day), book, pencil, paper, playing cards, compact binoculars, etc.
* If you have particular items you wish to bring on the trip, which are not on the list, feel free to ask us about them. For example, we’d love to have someone bring their guitar.
The town of Stanley, Idaho has several well equipped, reasonably priced stores which carry almost anything you will need for your trip.
You can call ahead to inquire:
- River 1 (208) 774-2270 .
- Riverwear Sports (208)774-3592